Thursday, June 5, 2014

1 week



Sweet baby Evan has already been here for a whole week, and of course we have stayed busy, albeit in different ways than our usual.  This first week we have had lots of visitors, which I have really enjoyed, and we've been able to show off our "three kings" to friends and family.  In addition to all of my family coming by to see their new cousin/nephew/grandson, two of my friends from church came by (Joyce and Arlene) to bring some gifts (from the shower I didn't make it to on Thursday) and a tasty dinner for that night.  We've also been able to enjoy tasty dinners all this week because of our wonderful church family, who organized meals for us since we now have a new family member.
The day after Evan was born I took him to meet Dr. Ezekiel for his initial check up.  Evan was great and looked "amazing" according to the pediatrician and we will go back in two weeks for another check up.  And the next day a nurse from the birthing center came to the house to check on me and the baby, including doing his first newborn screen test and checking his weight (all looked great!).
Our sweet baby has been doing a great job eating and sleeping, and I'm praying against any acid reflux and that he will be a great little sleeper like his older sister always has been!  The only real problems I've experienced so far is that my sweet 3rd child only wants to nurse on one side, for about 5 - 10 minutes, and then sleep for about an hour before wanting to nurse again.  While this might not have been a problem with a first child, I just can't be sitting on the couch nursing every hour with two very active older children :/  So poor evan has been having to learn just now to nurse a little more at a time and wait until at least 2 hours go by before he can eat again.  Sorry, kid!
I'm also happy to report that big brother and big sister seem to be adjusting very well, and both seem to love their little brother a lot.  Noah is especially helpful, telling me frequently that "that baby came out of your tummy, mommy!" and things like, "Isn't that baby so cute, mommy? He's so cute!"  And, of course, there has been lots of touching and hand holding and kisses for Evan, which my poor newborn doesn't always seem to enjoy -- no matter how well-intentioned they are.

Sam has also been adjusting well, but the first few days seemed to be really hard for her.  She was clingy and really fussy, throwing tantrums and fits over the smallest things.  Initially I was concerned that she wasn't adjusting well to Evan being in the house but then I noticed that she had started to have a runny nose (like a faucet!), and a sinus-like cough.   I'm sure some of it had to do with our complete change in routines for a few days (mom & dad both not going to work, grandma sharon coming over on days that weren't her "normal" days, a new baby taking up mommy's lap, etc.), but I started giving her a daily dose of children's allergy medicine and it was like she was a different kid!  Happily, after that she was much more loving and snuggly with her new baby brother, and seemed to be back to her usual self.

my sweet middle child :)


the older kids got some new construction toys to play with when baby Evan showed up 

snuggle time with daddy

Noah asking *again* if he could hold his brother ;)


me with my 3 kiddos


Evan getting weighed at the 2 day follow up appointment from ABC

snuggles from Aunt Sarah during a visit


headed to church for the first time (and only 3 days old!)

my boys ready for church (Sam was already headed to the car!)

1st (sponge) bath; he wasn't all that thrilled


brother time -- Noah was showing Evan how the excavator works




they really do *love* their baby brother

visitors: Arlene and Joyce




this girl loves her baby brother, too ;)








No comments: